GENERAL PURPOSE: Sr. Field Service Controls Specialist will perform on-site installations, startups, troubleshooting and repairs of various heavy industrial process control systems including PLC’s, industrial motor VFD’s, and Servo Motors. The Sr. Field Service Controls Specialist will be focused on eliminating any potential and/or actual operational problems and provides a communication link between the customer and the company to meet customers’ needs and expectations efficiently and effectively within very fast-paced work and production environments.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS and RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Installation, setup and troubleshooting Industrial Motor Controls including AC / DC adjustable speed drives, Electronic Soft Starter, Reduced Voltage starters, three and single phase controllers. Experience with Servo Motor controls would be good but, not required.
- Programmable Logic Controller (PLC) equipment installation, programming, troubleshooting, and repair on various control systems, including but not limited to GE/Allen Bradley. Familiarity of PLC 5, SLC 500, Ladder Logic, Control Logix and Panel Views programming.
- Inspect, install and start-up new process control systems and other electrical equipment.
- Perform hands-on electrical and mechanical troubleshooting and repairs on equipment to insure quality operations and optimize equipment productivity.
- Interface with Engineering, Production and Project Management to solve technical problems or project issues.
- Prepare concise, accurate, professional and timely Service Work Reports, Expense Reports and other support documentation for customer visits and service activities.
- Provide management with timely verbal and/or written communications regarding job activities.
- Follow Horner Industrial Group’s administrative, workplace, and safety policies, procedures and practices.
- Wear appropriate uniform and maintain professional appearance, conduct, and attitude in order to positively promote HIG’s business activities to all internal and external customers.
- Assist with Customer Service functions and activities as requested by management to align with HIG’s corporate goals and expectations.
Supervisory Responsibilities: This position may require occasional supervisor/coordination of other field technicians, on-site contractors and/or customer personnel.
EDUCATION and EXPERIENCE:
- 2 year AS diploma in Electrical/Electronic Technology or equivalent and more than 10 years of service experience in an industrial field such as Paper, Steel or similar processing industry or equivalent combination of higher education and experience.
- Ability to travel up to 10% within Midwest region as needed, some overnight stays are required.
- Demonstrated proficiency with Programmable Logic Controllers (PLC), Adjustable Speed Drives and Servo Motors; understanding of PLC ladder logic.
- Ability to troubleshoot and modify PLC programs involving various models of electronic and motion controls.
- Ability to troubleshoot, repair or correct mechanical or other equipment problems.
- Ability to read and interpret mechanical and electrical drawings, blueprints or other specification layouts.
- Experience and proficiency automated process systems and controls (GE / Allen Bradley preferred)
- Familiar with electrical and electronic principles
- Knowledge of NEC preferred
- Knowledge and applicability of Preventative Maintenance Procedures
- Provide own basic set of hand tools.
- Hands-on electrical and mechanical aptitude including use of various hand tools, precision measuring equipment and computers.
- Must be on call, in case of emergency, to travel or provide occasional telephone assistance to customers after standard work hours and on weekends.
- Ability to work all days and shifts, including overtime (24 hours a day, 7 days a week operation, including holidays)
- Must be able to work in a high production environment under stress and demanding circumstances.
- Able to lead, and influence others on the team
- Demonstrated ability to multi-task and prioritize many different work assignments
- Ability to perform several tasks concurrently with professionalism under pressure with aggressive time schedules while striving to provide complete customer satisfaction.
- Ability to work independently with a minimum of supervision.
- Ability to communicate effectively, (written and verbally) with peers, management, customers, and vendors
Physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job, with or without reasonable accommodation. When performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to walk; stand; sit; use hand to finger, handle or feel; reach with hands and arms; stoop; pull; kneel; crouch or crawl up. The employee must be able to lift up to 50 pounds frequently and occasionally lift and/or move items more than 50 pounds with or without assistance. The employee must be able to climb ladders, work out of man lifts and /or bucket trucks.