Industry: Engineering, Automation, Lighting
Position Location: 59 S. State Ave., Indianapolis IN 46201
We are part of the world-wide Horner Electric Group that was founded in 1949 and have been designing PLC’s, Communication Products, HMI’s and their related products since the early ’80s. Horner Automation Group designs, builds, and markets a wide array of industrial All-in-One controllers, consisting of programmable HMI, I/O, software and peripherals for the Industrial, Process Control, Renewable Energy and Building Automation markets. All products are designed by Horner Engineers and assembled by Horner Employees. With our internal operations and production facility. Horner Automation Group is a fully integrated North American Manufacturing company.
Responsible for developing detailed core firmware designs for HMI, networking and control systems used in industrial automation products for a variety of industrial sectors/processes. Responsible for the selection, configuration and integration of 3rd party firmware development tools and middleware. Responsible for writing device driver firmware to interface between core firmware and custom I/O hardware. Responsible for creating software tools for design creation, product production, and calibration.
- Design and develop firmware running under Linux and RTOS systems. This may include control systems, networking and HMI components.
- Create system architecture and design documents that may be completed by applicant or other engineers.
- Write embedded firmware drivers for custom I/O circuits.
- Create software tools as necessary in support of design and calibration.
- Troubleshoot hardware issues in the bring up and development process.
- Guide the project process through specified development standards and milestones. Follow ISO9001 guidelines activities in support of this process.
- Manage the prototype process including testing and documenting changes.
- Work with production engineer to hand off projects including documentation
- Mentor less experienced engineers. The Senior Firmware Engineer due to education and experience has a wide range of knowledge that should be shared with other employees as appropriate. Informal instruction of engineering, tech support, and production personnel when needed is a standard job function.
- While taking direction and specifications from management, subject to continuing project reviews, but not hesitant to seek guidance if necessary, The Senior Firmware Engineer must be able to continue a project to completion with little additional input. The Senior Firmware Engineer must be able to maintain project momentum, investigating and researching where necessary, handling part and capability issues, coordinating other engineering efforts, and overcoming roadblocks as they occur.
- 7+ years of experience in embedded software of firmware development
- Relevant experience and knowledge in firmware architecture creation.
- Experience in control systems and I/O desired
- Demonstrate understanding of engineering principles, practices and methods
- Ability to prepare engineering documents and specifications
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite Outlook, Word, and Excel.
- Experience with firmware development tools desired.
- Must be well organized and able to track multiple projects and perform simultaneous tasks
- Must possess focused time and project management skills
- Must be able to interact with all levels of the organization in a fast-paced environment with multiple locations (domestic and oversees)
- Must be able to maintain a high sense of urgency to meet project deadlines
- Must be able to perform essential functions of job, with or without reasonable accommodations.
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering or Computer Science, or equivalent combination of education and work experience
Horner offers a competitive wage, healthcare benefits, 401(k) plan with employer match, a great working environment, and a talented team of experienced professionals with whom you will work.
Horner Automation Group is an Equal Opportunity Employer.