Position Title: Shop Supervisor
Job Code: HRJD-011
Department: Manual Machine Shop
FLSA Status: Hourly / Non-exempt
Supervisor: Operations Manager
GENERAL PURPOSE: Under the direction of the Operations Manager this position will be responsible for supervising manual machine shop employees to optimize performance and productivity in a safe and efficient work environment.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Demonstrate a hands-on approach to working in the shop as necessary to get the job done, including performing or assisting with mechanical/machining work as workloads demand.
- Work with Operations Manager, Customer Service and Purchasing and others as necessary to coordinate change orders, production schedule, quoted repairs, and material purchasing.
- Complete non-conformance documentation as needed to identify problems and work with necessary employees, suppliers, etc. to resolve issues.
- Mentor new and existing employees to become more knowledgeable and efficient in their work procedures, quality and quantity.
- Collaborate when necessary with Operations Manager and/or Human Resources on personnel issues; when appropriate, counsel employees and in accordance with company policies and procedures.
- Participate and comply with Company safety programs including participation in job hazard analysis meetings, conduct monthly EHS shop safety audits, and ensure that supervised employees comply with safety protocols.
- Provide technical support for customers, as requested by the Operations Manager.
- Review all paperwork and work in progress throughout the entire repair process to ensure all work quoted is performed to Standard Work and quality specifications.
- Ensure that machining/mechanical equipment is maintained, research and make recommendations for purchasing new equipment as necessary
- Assure calibration updates are performed timely on equipment and tooling.
- Other duties as assigned and/or required to support the company’s goals and marketing/sales objectives and initiatives.
- High School diploma or general education degree (GED); A certificate or Associates Degree from technical trade school in an electrical/mechanical related field is preferred.
- 3+ years of experience in Manual Machining repair and/or service or documented completion of an accredited EASA or Military training program.
- 1+ years as a lead technician or supervisory experience a plus.
- Math skills: Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals. Ability to compute rate, ratio, and percent and read and interpret metal rule.
- Reasoning Ability: Ability to carry out written or oral instructions with or without significant details. Ability to solve issues which may involve few defined variables in standardized situations.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Ability to relate and interact professionally with customers, vendors, direct reports, peers and managers.
- Must demonstrate basic verbal, written and interpersonal communication skills
- Must be able to maintain a high sense of urgency to meet project deadlines
- Must be able to perform essential functions of job, with or without reasonable accommodations.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential job functions.
Employee is required to: sit, stand, talk, see, and hear.
In Terms of an 8 hour workday,On the job employees must: Not at all Occasionally
(<2 hours) Frequently
(2-5 hours) Continuously (5-8 hours) Bend/Stoop/Kneel X Reach above shoulder level X Balance X Push/Pull X Use hands/fingers to handle/feel X Repetitive operations X
During work the employee must lift and/or push/pull:On the job employees must lift: Not at all Occasionally
(<2 hours) Frequently
(2-5 hours) Continuously (5-8 hours) Up to 25 pounds X Up to 50 pounds X
This position works near moving mechanical parts
This position has special vision requirements:
Color vision – ability to identify and distinguish colors.
Close vision – clear vision at 20 inches or less.
Distance vision – clear vision at 20 feet or more.
Peripheral vision – ability to observe an area that can be seen up and down and/or left and right while eyes are fixed on a given point.
Ability to adjust focus – adjust the eye to bring an object into sharp focus.
The noise level that is typical for the work environment of this position is
Moderate to High noise (examples: assembly line, job shop)